{Resources}

One of the guys who just visited (a large group of college students came through last night and stayed over, all majoring in ecological agriculture and similar fields, all interested in sustainability) told me to visit this site - www.permacultureactivist.net. Apparently their listserv is really great. I'm about to check it out myself.

Other resources? A lot have been floating through my head when I'm away from the computer. Maybe a few first that I've known a while.

New American Dream - I wrote this winter to say that I Couldn't donate money to them because I was living on an organic farm and traveling, but that their work was important and appreciated. I got a handwritten card back thanking me for the update, congratulating me on living the new American dream, and asking me to keep in touch. I think their motto is "Less stuff. More of what matters." They support being active in your neighborhood, games that really let people connect, having fun in simple, economical, resourceful ways. They have a particularly nice holiday series of e-mails on keeping stress levels down and easily transitioning to a more 'green' holiday experience.

World Watch Institute - Great for articles for research papers. They put out the annual State of the World report, and keep an eye on different countries and what they are (and aren't) doing to help the planet. LOTS of good information. I read many of their articles during a Cultural Geography course - I looked at the situations of women in agriculture in third world countries, how we've tried to help, what our hand has been, the history of cars and their effect on our culture, the evolution of the American home and town... this is a great resource.

EFoods Direct - Visit this site with the knowledge that their Will be a food crisis soon in this country, and our government will not be able to help (reference Katrina). Agriculture has led us to grow more than we need (to a ridiculous extent), and this has caused our population to expand. Whenever this happens in nature, a die-off occurs to restore balance to the species population. This is why we have problems with famine and millions of people dying across the world. We cannot feed more people by increasing production in the way we're growing food now. It's against nature and nature will restore balance at any cost. Go to this site for its seminars section.

Alright, that's it for now. I'm not very good at being succinct - I wish I were - but there's a lot of information to share!

Anyway. That's all for now. Thanks for listening.

Comments