{Necessities}

I labeled this as a story. It kind of is. More like a project, a curiosity, something beyond "general" - I'm starting to think in Detail about what my ideal home will be like, how much money I'll need to maintain it, and how much I can make for myself or get from scavenged materials.

I'd like help, if you don't mind spending a few minutes in thought about how you live each day and what we take for granted. I'm finding it hard to think of all the things I really consider a necessary part of life - a lot are kind of hidden in the background.

So, go along in this story with me, and once I get some feedback and share my own list I'll paint some pictures to round out the tale.

Get out pen and paper (or open up NotePad, WordPad, or a Word Document) and think yourself through your day, your week, month, walk through your home. Aside from your home itself (which requires structural integrity, insulation, moisture protection, and light allowance), think of ALL the things you consider necessary to life.

I'll give a few suggestions to head you in the right direction -

First thing in the morning, you might think of -

Toilet
Shower
Sink
Toothbrush/paste
Makeup
Towels
Toilet Paper

Once a month, you might think

Cleaning supplies
Vacuum
Dust wipes
Broom

On a weekly basis, you might think

Lawnmower
Washer and dryer
Dishwasher

Then there are everyday background things, like

Paper
Writing utensils
Tables
Chairs
Desk
Computer
Internet access
Television
Cable, internet
Running water
Heat/Cooling systems
Cabinets
Refrigerator
Couches
Rugs
Dishes
Pots and pans
Stove
Counters
&c, &c...

Post your list as a comment or e-mail it to me at leonine.lotus AT gmail.com - I'm hoping you guys will come up with some things that I've forgotten but still consider essential.

Once I hear back I'll post my list (64 items so far) and paint a picture of what my home would look like... if you're feeling brave, and you want to leave things off your list that you Wouldn't WANT to live with, I'll try to incorporate them in a green way when I write through images of your ideal homes.

Thanks for your help! In the meantime, think of Balu the bear (Look for the... bare necessities, the simple bare(bear!) necessities, forget about your worries and your strife... yeah, man!)

Comments